Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

After years of cooking and sharing recipes, I have finally put together my blog site.

Its been a long journey in cooking for friends and family. It wasn't until recently that I was given the confidence to actually create a blog and share everything I have learned and am still learning in the kitchen.

I recently was given the opportunity to air on live tv with Good Day Sacramento.  It was quite the experience. Friends and family told me I was a natural on tv, but what they didn't see on tv was how extremely nervous me. My mom and my husband were there calming me down.  After each take, I would let out a big "Whew" and ask how I did.  Apparently my nervousness did not show when the camera was rolling. Thank Goodness!

I would like to share the recipe of my dish on Good Day Sacramento with all of you.

Spaghetti Squash is that ingredient that we all seem to forget about. It's amazing and very good for you to eat. I think when people look at a spaghetti squash, they look and say, "Yuck! I hate squash!" Believe me, I had my doubts before trying it and one day, my mom had me try it. She just cooked in the oven and threw some butter in the squash. She and I were huddled over the counter eating the squash right out of the shell after we had spaghetti-ed it. It was AMAZING! I was hooked. I was on a mission to try making different recipes with it. After trial and error with a lot of recipes, I found one that I just had to make over and over again. My Southwest Chicken over Spaghetti Squash.

Don't get discouraged about trying Squash. Try this recipe and trust me, you'll be hooked like I was.

Southwest Chicken over Spaghetti Squash

Ingredients:
1 Spaghetti Squash
8 tbs Butter
1 lb Chicken Breast
1 tbs Old Bay
4 tbs Olive Oil
2 Cans Black Beans
2 Bell Pepper (Red, Yellow, Orange - your choice), chopped
1 White Onion, minced
5 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 cup Frozen Corn
1 jalepeno pepper, minced
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs chili powder
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 1/2 cups grated cheese
Cut squash in half and scoop out pulp.
Divide butter among halves and season with salt and pepper.
Roast squash in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tbs oil in large skillet. Season chicken with Old Bay. Add Chicken to pan and cook on both sides over medium heat until browned on both sides, approximately 10 minutes.  Remove Chicken.  Cube Chicken and set aside.
Add remaining oil to pan.  Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, bell pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder and some pepper. and season lightly with salt, cooking until translucent.
Stir and saute for 2 minutes.
Add the chicken, beans and corn, stirring to combine.
Remove squash from oven and shred with forks and add butter to squash.
For Plating, Spoon 1 cup of squash onto plates, top with chicken mixture, cilantro and cheese.
For the bad version of this recipe, place shredded squash back in shells, top with chicken mixture and cheese. Return to oven on broil for 2-5 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly. Top with a dollop of sour cream.
For the clean eating version, omit butter and cheese.
For cooking tips and directions on cooking and plating:





Bad But So Good Version

Clean Version

Pinterest Link:

Comments

  1. Yum!!! Can't wait to read all you're recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe! Can't wait to try it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be awesome! I can't wait to show Uncle Kyle - He will love all your recipes too <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonight it's linguine and clams. I'll post recipe after dinner.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast