Soft Pretzels

So today I got to spend part of my day baking with my mom. Last night I received a text from her asking if I wanted to come over and make pretzels.... Um YEAH!!! 

I could already taste the pretzels and began craving some homemade pretzels.

This was such a fun cooking experience and bonding time with my mom and kiddos. We of course took shifts rolling out the pretzels and chasing kids around the house.

I love these fun bonding moments with my momma. They came out great! 

Ingredients:
1 pkg of yeast
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 -1/2 cups of like warm water (105-110 degrees)
3-4 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of salt
1 egg

Mix water, yeast and sugar in glass dish. Let sit till foamy (5 min). If mixture does not foam throw away and start over. 
Mix three and a half cups of flour and salt in bowl. I put in my Kitchen Aid mixer bowl, add yeast mixture and mix with dough hook on medium until mixture turns into a dough 
Turn dough onto working surface and dust with enough of the remaining flour to form a sticky dough. Form dough into a ball and return back to bowl. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let sit until dough doubles. About 45-60 minutes.

Divide dough into 16 equal pieces and roll into a 15-20 inch rope, shape like a pretzel and place on a baking sheet.



Let pretzels sit for ten minutes. 

Preheat oven to 375 and get a big pot of water boiling. Pick up pretzels with fingers and gently place in boiling water, turn after a 1 1/2 minutes and cook for an additional 1 1/2 minutes.


Place pretzel on cookie rack to cool. 


Place pretzels on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.  Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with pretzel salt. Bake for 20 minutes.

Cool on cookie rack.



If you want cinnamon sugar pretzels skip sprinkling with salt and bake. When done baking brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture while still hot. Remove to cookie rack to cool

Pinterest Link:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast