Zucchini Enchiladas (Keto)

It's been so long since I have blogged and I have literally been cooking up a storm for the past.... gosh it seems like months now. I have sadly failed to blog all of the yumminess I have been concocting. I decided to take the plunge and do this again. I know I need to keep up my blog, share my passion and hopefully it will inspire some of you to do the same.
This recipe is very special to me because of the amazingness I created. Little did I know, this recipe would not only serve it's purpose as our yummy dinner, but it would become an emotional recipe for me.
In June my great grandmother (Grandmama as I would call her), Rosa passed away. It still seems almost hard to believe that she is gone. She was the one person that seemed to hold our family together and it's so hard to know that we won't visit that house that we all would come to for our family gatherings. When she got sick though, I feel like it almost brought all of us closer and our bond as cousins became stronger.
Although it's hard to make it down as often as I would like to, but lets face it, traveling with 3 kids (with one who gets severely carsick) can be hard sometimes, but we make it down to visit everyone when we are able to.
After she had passed, we started to go through things in her house which definitely was hard, but that's where I'm getting to with this recipe I promise.... I got this little kitchen gadget from my Grandmama.... It was a rectangular device, no bigger than a 2x4, made of plastic, with these little inserts, once for cheeses, and a mandolin.... When I saw this recipe, I knew exactly how I would make these Keto Enchiladas.... With the Mandolin attachment.....
When the day came to make this recipe, I took a deep breath, said a prayer and said, "Grandmama, I know you're with me today... please guide my way as I make this." After I said the quick prayer to her, it was as if she was standing there with my in my kitchen. Her presence was with me and I shed a few tears before I started and then proceeded to make this amazing meal that to me would not have come out the way it did without her there with me that day in spirit.
As I made those zucchini slices with that mandolin, my hands just seemed to glide with perfection using this tool..... and they came out amazing.... Jack even liked them, which by the way he hates zucchini, but he loved this carb free meal.
I recommend trying this out, it's simply perfection in an enchilada.

Keto Zucchini Enchiladas

Ingredients

1 large onion, chopped
1 tbs. EVOO or ghee (extra virgin olive oil)
kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
3 c. Shredded chicken
1 1/3 c. red enchilada sauce, divided (Check Sugars and Carbs)
4 large zucchini, halved lengthwise
1 c. Shredded Monterey Jack
1 c. shredded Cheddar
Sour cream, for drizzling
Fresh cilantro, for garnish


Directions

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and season with salt. Cook until soft, 5 minutes, then add garlic, cumin and chili powder and stir until combined. Add shredded chicken and 1 cup enchilada sauce and stir until saucy.
On a cutting board, use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler  or mandolin to make thin slices of zucchini. Lay out three, slightly overlapping, and place a spoonful of chicken mixture on top. Roll up and transfer to a baking dish. Repeat with remaining zucchini and chicken mixture.
Spoon remaining 1/3 cup enchilada sauce over zucchini enchiladas and sprinkle with both cheeses.
Bake until melty, 20 minutes.
Garnish with sour cream and cilantro and serve.

I chose to serve mine topped with avocado and a side of Mexican Cauliflower Rice



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast