Tofu with Mushroom Balsamic Reduction

Since my Masterchef Audition last weekend, I've been trying new things with my cooking. Tonight I was making a tri-tip for Jack and the kids, but being vegetarian, I needed to make something different for myself. I've seen recipes for just slicing tofu and seasoning with what you would season steak with, so I decided to kick it up a notch and do a balsamic reduction and top with a sautéed Brussel sprout slaw. 

This was absolutely amazing! I am definitely going to add this to my weekly menu to enjoy once a week.


Tofu Steaks:
1 lb extra firm tofu, cut into 1 1/2inch thick slices
½ cup Soy sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Garlic powder
½ tsp. Onion powder

Mushroom Balsamic Reduction:
1 large shallot, minced
12 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 tbs. Coconut Oil
1/8 cup red wine
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbs fresh honey 
Salt and pepper to taste

Brussel Sprout Slaw:
1 lb Brussel sprouts, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
Cooking spray
Salt as pepper to taste

Directions:
In a shallow dish, or ziplock bag, combine soy sauce, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and onion powder. Marinate tofu for 30 minutes flipping tofu every 10 minutes.

Over medium high heat, lightly coat a large skillet with oil of choice (I like using coconut oil, about 1tbs). Cook tofu until browned on all sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. 

For the balsamic reduction, you'll use the same skillet as the tofu.

Heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add wine, honey, balsamic, salt and pepper. Cook an additional 5 minutes over medium high heat until the sauce starts to slightly thicken. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce has reduced in half.

While you're reduction sauce is simmering, prepare your Brussels.

In a separate skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add Brussel sprouts and sauté 5-10 minutes until sprouts have reached your desired doneness. I prefer mine on the crunchy side. Lightly season with salt and pepper.

For assembly, the starch I used was a potato/cauliflower mash, but you can use the starch of your choice. This would probably taste amazing on a bed of quinoa or polenta.

Top your starch with 2 slices of tofu, mushroom reduction then for the final touches you add the beautiful slaw...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast