Mushrooms with Turnip, Parsnip, and Bean Mash

I've always loved trying new mash combinations to replace mashed potatoes, so last night was a new adventure with food for me.

I first had turnips about 2 years ago when our friends Brandon & Danielle came to visit us right after I had Brooklyn.  I was completely hooked after they made us mashed turnips. They were so freaking good!!! 

I found a recipe for mashed white beans with truffle oil, so I went to safeway, but they didn't have truffle oil so I decided to try something else. I instantly remembered that love of turnips I had, so I grabbed some.... Parsnips were right next to them and they looked so good I grabbed some of those too. Some of my best recipes are the ones I throw together on a whim. 

This was a huge success. The kids loved them too!!!

Ingredients:
  • 16oz of baby bella mushrooms, you can use whatever mix or variety you prefer, thickly sliced, cut in half, or quartered, so they are all about the same size.
  • 2 - 15oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 leek, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 3 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
  • 2 parsnips, peeled and cubed
  • 1 tbs dried parsley
  • 1 tbs. Onion flakes
  • 1 tbs. Balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbs minced fresh parsley
  • EVOO, extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. In a large pot place turnips, parsnips, onion flakes, and parsley. Fill the pot with enough water to cover. Cook on medium high heat until tender.
  2. Meanwhile, Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a skillet over medium heat. Once oil is hot, sauté leek until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add in cannellini beans, garlic, and vegetable broth. Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for about 10 minutes. 
  3. Prepare the mushrooms in an different skillet, over medium-high heat heat another drizzle of EVOO. When oil is hot, add mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste, continue to sauté until desired tenderness, 8 more minutes give or take.
  4. When beans are done cooking, transfer them to a blender, food processor, or use an immersion blender to blend until creamy.  
  5. When the turnips and parsnips are fork tender, drain, add beans and mash as you would mashed potatoes until mashed to desired consistency.  Keep warm until mushrooms are complete.
  6. Once mushrooms have reached desired tenderness, drizzle with balsamic. Toss to coat.
  7. Spoon mash into shallow dish and top with mushrooms. Sprinkle fresh parsley on top. 
  8. Serve immediately & enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast