Bone Broth




For those of you who follow me on Instagram, you'll know already that I am a firm believer in Bone Broth, or as I like to call it, Liquid Gold. I didn't always know about the benefits of Bone Broth, until I researched it and tried it for the first time. It was about 2 years ago when I first tried this amazing Liquid Gold. There are so many different types you can make too and they have amazing health benefits as well.

For those of you who aren't familiar with bone broth, let me break it down for you a little bit. The Aesthetic Collagen that you get from it. We all want to feel younger right? Or look Younger Right? Well guess what, bone broth can make you feel amazing and confident and sexy. The collagen in Bone broth helps with skin, hair and nails, so hey, why not right? And you don't need any kind of procedure done to get that collagen into your skin, you literally just drink the liquid gold and over time you'll notice a difference in hair, skin and the growth of your nails. 

Here are the different types of broth you can do:

Beef Bone Broth
Beef is full of rich flavor and helps give you strength and stamina. It can also help you feel stable and at ease. Beef is actually my favorite.... I have noticed that the Beef actually gives me the most Gelatin (don't be alarmed by that thick gelatin consistency after it's cooled! that's what it's suppose to do!)

Chicken Bone Broth
Chicken is the immune booster, just think about what we eat when you're sick. Most of the time it's probably going to be a soup and for most its Chicken soup. We all love it from kids to adults. Chicken broth is also the most versatile for cooking with. 

Fish Broth
The Fish broth I actually have not made yet, but it's mostly of fear of that fish smell in my house. I know how good it is for you too, but I'm so nervous about making it, I haven't brought myself to making it yet..... I will definitely make it soon so I can share it with you all. The Fish broth is so beneficial for your health because it gives you those wonderful omegas and 6 essential fatty acids, you know, the stuff that everyone takes those fish oil pills for, but in liquid form... say goodbye to those daily pills and just broth it up. 


Vegetable Broth
Most of the Collagen is from the meats in broth, but for those of you who are vegan or vegetarians, you can still do vegetable broth and you are still getting high nutrients from all the vegetables.


Why the Apple Cider Vinegar you ask? With a low pH, the apple cider vinegar acts as a solvent, helping to pull calcium and other minerals from the bones as it simmers.

As part of my Arbonne 30 days to Healthy Living, guess what???? The amazing Liquid Gold Bone Broth is totally acceptable.... So you know what I do? If I start to get hungry, I broth it up. I warm up an amazing cup of broth and just drink up. It's filling, and it can help tie you over until it's time to eat your next meal. I am a total snacker, I will admit it, but this magical broth or for those of you who are part of the Arbonne family, you may have heard it referred to as Alkaline Broth.  Why is it called Alkaline you ask, well here it is... Alkaline is to help maintain proper pH levels (the measure of acidity or alkalinity) in the blood.  The blood pH of human is naturally slightly alkaline.  The immune systems, internal organs, digestion, and other bodily functions will work better if your pH is within the right range (7.35-7.45). 


So, what's in it you ask, well tonight I did chicken bone broth, so here's what goes into this beautiful concoction. You can also change it up a bit too. I usually have leftover veggies from my last shopping trip, so I usually see what veggies I have on hand and use those veggies I have in fridge (the ones that aren't bad.) Sometimes it's tomatoes, mushrooms and always a wide array of herbs. Beef Bone broth is definitely my favorite for flavor, but I usually use what bones I have or what I'm planning on meal prepping for the next week. I have made several different bone broths, and each batch has had an amazing richness in flavor. 


Chicken Bone Broth
  • 5-Pound chicken (organs & gizzards removed, but keep the neck for flavor in broth)
  • 3 large carrots
  • 3 large stalks celery
  • 2 heads garlic
  • 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1 large yellow onion
  • 2 teaspoons real salt (I like using Pink Himalayan salt)
  • 2 teaspoons peppercorns (more if you want a little spice in your broth)
  • 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 small bunch parsley
  • 2 oz chunk fresh ginger
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Directions:
Place chicken in a large slow cooker. Rinse off Vegetables. 

Chop celery, carrots and onions into large chunks.  Slice the head of garlic in half. Remember it doesn't have to look perfect because you're just throwing it all in the slow cooker. Here's where you throw the veggies into the slow cooker. 

Next you're going to throw all those beautiful herbs on top and then finish by putting the salt, pepper, turmeric, ginger and apple cider vinegar on top of the herbs. 







Cover with water to 2 inches above the chicken and veggies (depending on your slow cooker, you may have to cook down a bit, and add more water after the chicken has cooked). Set the slow cooker cook for about 12-15  hours on high or 24-36 hours on low. You want a slow simmer, so adjust cook speed accordingly. If it's more than a simmer, it may absorb all the water. 




After the chicken broth has cooked for 2-3 hours, the meat will completely fall off the bone, and you can take a pair of tongs and just remove the meat and save for another meal. I like to take the entire chicken out because I don't want to miss any pieces of chicken, especially that little piece of back meat which has the most flavor. Return bones and cartilage to slow cooker and continue cooking. 

When broth is finished, allow it to cool slightly. Pour the broth through a strainer covered with cheesecloth (so the herbs don't seep through the strainer) into a large bowl. 

Transfer broth into a glass container and put in fridge. 



Storing your Bone Broth:

There are ways to store your broth for up to six months in the refrigerator and here’s how you know if it’s ok to store. This is for those of you who do not drink bone broth daily of course. I on the other hand usually go through a batch of bone broth every 1-2 weeks so my batches are always fresh.  

Once your batch of bone broth is made, in order to preserve it for 6 months without canning or freezing, all you have to do is ensure that a good 1/2 inch or so of rendered fat sits on top of each jar that you strain your broth into. As the fat hardens in the refrigerator, it acts as a seal for the broth below it. The fat eliminates any air and will keep your homemade broth preserved in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. 

That’s it… It’s literally that easy…. Easy Peasy right???
This is what the beef bone broth does... it has a large fat layer to help seal that liquid gold in the jar for storing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast