Pumpkin Protein Muffins



I know there are some of you who may get discouraged by "healthy eating," or some purchase items from the store because it says "only x amount of calories." You really need to look at those labels. How much sodium and sugar are in those items you are buying. Trust me, I use to just grab items off the shelf that claimed to be "healthy," and in actuality, they were really bad items to purchase. That's why we all live and learn. 

I've since then learned and been taught the "healthy" way to eat. Don't get me wrong, there are some days I have a cheat meal, but it's not an everyday thing. If you do a cheat meal all the time, you'll fall back into the same patterns and will continue to cheat yourself of eating healthy. Don't let cheat meals cheat you out of becoming healthy. 

Also, rule of thumb, never call it a diet, you're more likely to fail. You're changing your eating habits with making healthy eating choices and habits. 

The first step I made to becoming healthy for my kids and my family was trying Herbalife to see if I liked it. I was of course hooked after my first shake. I had my doubts at first about doing Herbalife, but I was willing to try anything. I have had digestion problems since I was pregnant with my daughter and I was still getting sick from certain foods and I never knew when I would have a flare up.  I was eating pretty healthy before trying Herbalife, but not until I started Herbalife that I saw a change in my body not only digestively, but physically too. 

After just 3 weeks, I started seeing results and I couldn't believe my eyes. It wasn't just the healthy eating though. It was 20% fitness (thank you my Sactown FitClub Family), 80% Nutrition (thank you Herbalife, my amazing health coach Amber) and 100% mindset. 

After my 4 week challenge with Sactown FitClub, I decided I wanted to be a health Coach as well because I wanted to give back to other what was given to me. I want others to have the energy and motivation I have. Here is my before and after picture of the 4 week challenge for those of you who want to see the results I showed in only 4 weeks.

Tonight after my amazing FitClub workout, I wanted to experiment with my protein shakes and make a little concoction. I'm a little OCD with calories, so I calculated the calories out for this recipe, it's 71 calories for a regular sized muffin and 24 calories for mini muffins. 

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups oat, almond, or whole-wheat flour (I used 1 cup oat & 1/2 cup brown rice flour)

1 cup unsweetened almond milk

2 egg whites

2 scoops vanilla or chocolate protein powder (I used Herbalife French Vanilla)

½ cup unsweetened applesauce or incorporate any combination of almond butter or coconut oil that will still add up to ½ cup total (I used 1/2 cup homemade almond butter)

½ cup organic canned pumpkin

Pinch of salt

1 tsp baking powder

Cinnamon and other pumpkin pie spices (nutmeg and ginger would be delicious)

2 Tbsp sweetener, such as Stevia, honey or agave nectar (I used agave)

 Instructions:

Pre-heat the oven by setting it to 350 degrees F

Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl

Spray cooking spray on the muffin pan – try using coconut oil cooking spray

Fill the each muffin space ¾ of the way full

Place the pan in the oven and wait 20 minutes, checking on them periodically

**Try topping off the muffins with the following coconut milk whipped cream**

Makes 12 regular sized muffins or 36 mini muffins


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast