Paleo Chicken Stew

Finally made my first batch of stew for the fall season!!!

Growing up I remember my parents cooking soups and stews during the fall and winter. There are definitely a handful of them that are my favorites so I decided to try and make a stew of my own.

Usually I just do the typical beef stew or chicken noodle soup. I decided to mix it up this time and try something new and started looking through the fridge deciding what else I could add to this stew.

Since we're trying to eat healthier, I decided to use sweet potatoes and butternut squash rather than using Yukon potatoes and instead of using spinach I used kale because kale "the Queen Of The Greens!" It is filled with so many nutrients, low in calories and tastes amazing!

I definitely recommend trying this recipe and if you don't like kale, try using spinach or mustard greens.


Ingredients
2 pounds chicken breast or thigh (no need to chop these, just throw them in. They'll shred later)
2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
1 small butternut squash, cubed
1 large onion, roughly chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tablespoon tomato paste 
1 cup of water
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. sage
1 tsp. parsley
2-4 cups of baby kale (or regular kale, which you should chop into smaller pieces)

Instructions
Place all ingredients except kale in slow cooker and stir to combine.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 2-4 hours.

In the last hour of cooking, open your slow cooker and stir to mix everything up. This will shred your chicken. Add in your kale, and stir until it's incorporated.

Cook for 30-60 minutes longer until the kale is tender.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast