Healthy Egg White omelet

Some mornings are easier than others when you have a 2 and 1 year old. I'm always on the go from about 5:30am until I go to bed at 10pm. I have a system down in the mornings so I can feed them and make myself a healthy breakfast as well. Since I try to stay healthy with what I eat, I make myself Egg White Omelets and I change it up a bit with what I put in the omelets, depending on what I have on hand.

My son, Nicholas (2), has decided he wants to be my little helper in the kitchen ever since my TV debut on Good Morning Sacramento.

Every morning when I'm cooking, he wants to assist me. I sit both Nicholas and Brooklyn (1) down at the breakfast table and begin to prepare my breakfast as they're eating theirs. Of course once Nicholas sees me cooking, he quickly gets down from his seat and pushes one of the table chairs to wear I am cooking so that he can help.

This morning he was excited about getting to throw my omelet filling into the pan.

Prep can definitely be time consuming, so if you are usually feeling rushed and don't feel like you have time to prep everything, you can prep the filling the night before and stick in the fridge so all you have to do in the morning is scramble eggs, throw in filling and cook while you're tending to other things, but keeping in mind to just keep an eye on the omelet so you do not burn it.

I am a little picky when it comes to eggs. I cannot eat eggs that are in the least bit uncooked or a pet peeve is when my omelet is overcooked and brown on the outside.  That doesn't mean I don't know how to cook them runny, I just prepare fully cooked eggs, but not burnt. My husband, Jack loves runny eggs and eggs benedict, so I have mastered making those for him. What my hubby wants, my hubby gets.

I hope you all enjoy this recipe, I know I do every morning.

Ingredients:
Cooking Spray (I like to use Trader Joe's Coconut Oil Spray)
4 egg whites, beaten
2 mushrooms, chopped
2 mini bell peppers, diced
3 spinach leaves, thinly sliced
1 slice Swiss cheese, diced
salt and pepper to taste

In a small bowl, beat eggs with a fork until combined, but not frothy.  Heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium-low heat until skillet is hot. Spray with cooking spray so egg does not stick to the pan.

Add the egg mixture to skillet. Spoon filling across one side of the egg. Cook 2 minutes, or until the side of egg without filling is slightly cooked. With a spatula lift and fold the edge of the omelet without filling over the side of omelet with filling. Cover and Cook until egg is no longer runny and cheese has melted, about 2 minutes.

If you want to get creative, this omelet tastes amazing topped with salsa and fresh sliced avocados. There's just something about salsa and avocados over eggs that seems to just melt in your mouth with yumminess.


 Place Egg and filling in pan as shown above
 
 
Cooked to Perfection Omelet

Pinterest Link:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast