Bacon & Egg Breakfast Muffins








 
 
This morning I was on a mission to find something for Jack to eat for breakfast for the rest of the week.  I'm always trying new breakfast muffins for Jack and I came across this recipe and I of course elevated it a little bit.

As these muffins baked in the oven, the essence of bacon, cheese, and herbs permeated the air.  I couldn't wait for these muffins to come out of the oven. The anticipation was killing me as I sat and watched these muffins bake for a better part of the 20 minutes.

As I took the muffins out of the oven, Nicholas screamed, "CUPCAKES!!!!"  I then had to try and explain to a 2 year old that they were hot and he couldn't eat them yet, so he of course moved a chair over to the counter where I had placed the muffins and started blowing on them to try and cool them down a little faster.

After they had cooled enough for me to handle one, I took out of the pan and quartered the muffin to cool the inside faster.  Nicholas waited with anticipation for me to plate him a muffin.  My picky eater was excited! I put a muffin in front of him and as he took a bite he said, "mmmmm, yummy." Woo hoo! I had a winner for Nicholas and he actually ate an entire muffin! Awesome!

If Nicholas likes it, then Jack has to like them right? I mean who could refuse muffins with Bacon, Eggs and Cheese. Bacon is Jacks favorite, so how could he refuse this yummy temptation and these muffins aren't like my normal frittata or scramble muffin, this is like a real muffin!!!
 
I will definitely try this recipe again using some alterations, but the way I baked these muffins this morning is perfect for Jack.

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
¼ cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
8-10 cooked bacon, chopped
1 1/2 cups grated cheese (I used a combination of Swiss, Colby, and cheddar)
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 stick of butter (melted and cooled)
2 tbs. fresh thyme, minced
2 tbs. fresh chives, minced

Instructions:
In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add cheese, bacon, herbs, and mix everything together. 

In a separate bowl whisk together milk, eggs and butter, pour into the flour mixture and mix until combined (do not over mix!).

 


 

Scoop the batter into a muffin pan (1/4 cup into each cup)


 

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

 



 

These came out do great! I think I'm going to try adding some peppers or mushrooms in my next batch.

If you want to be bad with this recipe, throw the bacon grease into the batter for a more distinguished bacon flavor.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast