Mom's Spaghetti Sauce with a Twist

For those of you who ate at my parents growing up, or more recently, you know that my mom makes AMAZING Spaghetti Sauce. Its all thanks to my mom that I make great spaghetti sauce.

Growing up, I use to get super excited on the night we would have spaghetti because my mom would simmer the spaghetti sauce in the crock pot all day and it was always so good. It came out perfect every single time.

Through years of mastering my moms spaghetti sauce, I of course tried new things in the sauce. I've used beer instead of wine in the sauce which actually wasn't too bad, but it gives the sauce a different kind of taste. I definitely like the taste of the wine in the sauce much more than the beer.

Since I knew my day and night would be busy, I decided to make my moms spaghetti sauce, with a little twist of my own. Jack hates mushrooms, however I love mushrooms in my sauce, so I kept the mushrooms bigger so it was easier to pick them out before I plated his dinner.

Since I'm trying to eat healthier, I prepared Spaghetti Squash for mine and served the homemade noodles for Jacks.  As he ate tonight's dinner, I was filled with joy by his sweet comments about dinner. He loved it!

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 package mild Italian sausages (5-6 sausages)
2 tbs. olive oil
1 cup onion , minced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, minced
1 orange or yellow bell pepper, minced
8 oz. mushrooms, quartered
15 oz. can tomato sauce
15 oz. can diced tomatoes
6 oz. can tomato paste
1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup red wine
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tbs. fresh basil, thinly sliced
3 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper

Instructions:
Warm large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, & peppers. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until meat is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add meat mixture to crock pot.


 

Add sausages, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, fresh tomatoes, wine, basil, thyme, salt and pepper to meat mixture and stir to combine.


Cover crock pot and simmer on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 2-4 hours.

Serve warm over a bed of pasta or spaghetti squash.

When you throw the sausages into the spaghetti mixture raw and allow them to cook in the spaghetti sauce, it makes the sausages almost buttery tasting, tender and AMAZING!


Pinterest Link:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast