Hamburger Veggie Overload

Last night for dinner, I wasn't quite sure what to make. Since Football was on, I decided to make cheeseburgers and tots for Jack and the kids.

Rather than making a completely different meal, I decided to make a healthier version of the burger for myself.

This past weekend I ate incredibly bad and I needed to get back on track eating right.

By all means, if you want the bun and tots for your burger, do it, but if you want something a little healthier, please try this because its so good. 

It's amazing how full you get from veggies. I couldn't even finish my plate.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef, seasoned to your preference & shaped into burger patties (I made 4 burgers)
4 slices Colby Jack cheese
1/2 cup red onion, sliced
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
8 oz. fresh kale, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
4 tbs. olive oil, divided
1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced

instructions:

In a skillet, sauté mushrooms and onions in 2 tbs. olive oil over medium heat until softened and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. Set aside.

In a large skillet, warm remaining 2 tbs. olive oil and sauté garlic over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add kale and cover. Cook 5-10 minutes until kale has slightly wilted and softened.

While cooking kale, cook burgers either on gas grill or in a small skillet. 3-5 min per side for desired meat temperature. Place cheese on top of burgers and cook until cheese has melted.

To assemble healthy version, layer accordingly:
Kale---->Onion/mushroom mixture ---->burger---->tomato slices

 

 



This was so amazing and hit the right spot!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast