Enchilada Casserole

I did not know what I wanted to cook for dinner the other night and I had some extra chicken leftover from the roasted chicken, so instead of letting the chicken go to waste, I decided to whip something together with it. Usually I just make 3 chicken breasts and shred it.

Jack and his sister, Danielle, love Mexican food and she was eating dinner over, so I decided to make a yummy dinner with this left over chicken.

I had a chicken leg, thigh and wings left on the chicken. I removed the meat and shred it by hand into little pieces. I also boiled 2 small chicken breasts in a pan and then shred it by hand as well.

I think this may be my best enchilada casserole yet. Keeping in mind it is in the oven right now but I wanted to just eat it right out of the pan after I had assembled it.

This is a simple dinner and you can even throw it together the night before and bake it the following day if you're strapped for time in the evenings.

Hope you all enjoy this delicious dinner.

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (keep seeds if you want it spicier)
1 tbs chili powder
1 tbs ground cumin
12 oz can refried beans
24 corn tortillas
8 oz sliced olives
28 oz can green enchilada sauce
10 oz jar salsa verde
2 cups shredded Colby jack

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 8x10 baking pan.

In a medium sized bowl, combine enchilada sauce and salsa verde. Set aside.

In a medium sauce pan, combine chicken, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, refried beans and 1/4 cup of the sauce mixture. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally until beans have warmed and jalapeno has softened.

To assemble casserole, pour 1/2 cup of sauce mixture in bottom of pan. Arrange 8 tortillas in pan, top with chicken mixture, 1/2 of olives, and 1/3 of cheese. Repeat this step for next layer. Top with remaining tortillas and pour sauce over casserole and top with the last 1/3 portion of cheese.

Bake for 30-45 minutes until cheese has melted and browned.

Pinterest Link: 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast