Taco Salad

Friday night I had no idea what to cook my family for dinner. Mexican food is always a big hit in this household, so I decided to go with a Taco Salad for myself and just regular tacos for Jack and the kids.

As I looked through our pantry and refrigerator, I wanted to spice it up a bit. I had just the ingredients needed to do so.

Brooklyn, our one year old loved the dinner and she kept trying to steal my salad because apparently she liked that better than the tacos. I am not complaining though, I love that she's such a good eater.

Nicholas on the other hand was a little more picky with his meal. He ate all of his beans, and his tortilla shell and cheese.

I was so full from my Herbalife shake my friend Amber had brought over for me around lunch time that I could not even finish my salad. I did eat about half of it and Brooklyn polished off the rest.

Jack enjoyed his regular tacos with sour cream and one of his favorite hot sauces, Tapitio.

If you're feeling like being good, go for the salad, if you're feeling bad, go for the salad.

Ingredients:

3 chicken breasts
1 cup chunky salsa
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1 tbs. olive oil
1 tbs. chili powder
1/2 tbs. cumin
1/4 cup water
1 (10 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (10oz.) can black olives, sliced
1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
8 corn tortillas, baked and broken into pieces (or you can crumble tortilla chips on salad)

Instructions:
In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté red onion in olive oil 3 minutes.  Add salsa, green chilies and chicken to pan. Cover and simmer chicken until cooked through, about 20-30 minutes.

Drain chicken reserving salsa, green chilies and red onions.  With two forks, shred chicken breasts.
Return chicken and reserved mixture to pan. Add chili powder, cumin and water to pan. Stir to combine. Simmer over low heat 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in beans.

For assembling, I just started with my lettuce, topped with tortillas (I only put 1 corn tortilla in my salad), black olives and chicken mixture. You can definitely top with your favorite dressing, or just mix to combine and the juices from the chicken mixture will serve as a light dressing and you really don't need anything else.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast