Apple and Onion-Stuffed Pork Chops




It's only 8 am in the morning. The kids have been fed breakfast consisting of homemade pancakes and bananas. 

The kids have only been up for two hours and already it looks like a hurricane went through the house. I saw this picture today and it is completely true when you have toddlers. Especially two toddlers.


While the kids ate their breakfast, I decided to surf the web for something for dinner. I thought pork chops would be good because I feel like we've been eating chicken everyday for about a week now. I needed to change it up.

With pork chops, my grandmas fried pork chops are my favorite, however they are not healthy! Since Jack and I are eating healthier, I wanted to make something that was healthy and yet still very tasty.

I found this recipe:


Of course as you all know, I make it my own and add things, or subtract things from the recipe, so here's how I created my stuffed pork chops.

Ingredients:
4 boneless pork chops, about 1 inch thick
4 slices bacon, roughly chopped
1 large sweet onion
2 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and thinly diced
2 tbs. olive oil
2 tbs. pineapple juice & 6 oz pineapple juice
4 tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. ground sage
ground black pepper
pinch sea salt
1 tbs. fresh lemon zest
2 tbs. shredded mizithra cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.





Using a meat mallet, pound pork chops until they are 1/2 inch thick (I usually place pork in between two pieces of plastic wrap.  Season the outside of the chops with some freshly ground black pepper and sea salt.



In a skillet over medium heat, saute the bacon. When it starts to crisp, add the onions, thyme and sage. Cook until onions start to caramelize (about 10 minutes). Pour mixture in a bowl. Add apples and 2 T pineapple juice to the bowl and mix well.


Stuff each pork chop with 1 tbs. ricotta and the apple/bacon mixture and secure the opening with toothpicks (there will be leftover filling). In the same skillet, add olive oil to coat pan and heat to medium-high heat. Sear the pork chops on both sides until golden brown. Transfer to a baking dish, and bake for 20-25 minutes.
 

While pork chops are cooking, add pineapple juice to skillet and deglaze pan. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook until it reduces (about 5 minutes). Add leftover apple, onion and bacon mixture to skillet. Pour sauce over the pork chops. Garnish with lemon zest and mizithra cheese and Serve!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast