Breakfast Quinoa with Berries

As always, I'm trying to figure out something new to make for the kiddos for breakfast. This morning I was debating between making breakfast cookies and breakfast quinoa. I knew the cookies would take to long to make and I wanted to keep the kids to their normal schedule and have them eating breakfast by 7:30am.

I decided to go with the quinoa. It's just like making oatmeal, but with a little twist.

Whenever you cook quinoa, it's always a 2:1 mixture of liquid:quinoa.

The kids really are enjoying this new meal creation. I'd say this one is a success and I even have a little left over for their breakfast tomorrow.

Since my kids are both toddlers, they do not eat a whole bunch of food. Well, my son doesn't. My daughter eats just about everything. She's like a human garbage disposal.  She eats everything from chicken-fish and from peas-eggplant.  My son on the other hand is quite the picky eater. I have the hardest time getting him to eat meats, but he loves the morning star vegan burgers and tofu.

This morning while I cooked the quinoa, I gave Nicholas some raw almonds and Brooklyn was in the living room playing with her toy stroller and baby doll (Such a girlie girl).

If your kids are older than toddlers, or you're making this for adults, I recommend doubling the recipe as I made such a tiny amount since my kids are young. It was enough to fill up 3 ramekins.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup quinoa,
1 cup milk or water
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Instructions:
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10-15 minutes until liquid is absorbed.

Remove from heat and serve immediately with topping of your choice.

I topped the kids with Berries and I did cheese cut outs on the side to go with their breakfast. I thought I'd make some fun cheese for the kids this am rather than just cutting it into squares.

Pinterest Link:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast