Maple Pumpkin Spice Muffins take 1

I finally caught up on some sleep last night and woke up this morning full of energy and ready to make something fun for the kids for breakfast.

I immediately went onto Pinterest and found a recipe for Maple Spiced Muffins at:

Maple Spiced Muffins

I looked in my pantry and I didn't have exactly what the recipe called for, so I decided to use some creativity and work within my means. This recipe called for 2 3/4 cups of whole wheat pastry flour. I had about 1/2 cup on hand, however had some coconut flour, so I used coconut flour for the remaining flour needed for this recipe.

I also decided to add some fresh mixed berries, pumpkin spice and I omitted the cloves.

Nicholas, my little sous chef of course helped me in the kitchen, however ran to our silverware drawer for a fork and started trying to eat the oats out of the bowl after I had mixed the dry ingredients.

makes 18-24 muffins
2 1/4 cups coconut flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. quick oats
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder (aluminum free, please)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. pumpkin spice
1 cup chopped & toasted walnuts
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 c. plain yogurt  ( I didn't have plain so I used fat free vanilla yogurt)
1/2 c. real maple syrup
1/3 c. sugar
1 t. maple extract
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup fresh or frozen berries
 1 overripe banana, mashed

Preheat oven to 375F and line muffin pan with paper baking cups. Mix together dry ingredients (including walnuts) in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, yogurt, maple syrup, sugar, vanilla, melted butter, berries, and the mashed banana. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients stirring only until just blended -- don't over mix your muffins!

Fill muffin cups 2/3 - 3/4 full (depending on how many muffins you want to wind up with), and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until lightly browned.

Check with a toothpick to be sure they're done, then cool several minutes before removing to finish cooling on a wire rack.


 
 
 
 
 
 
Ok, so these definitely were not as pretty as I had anticipated, but sometimes with cooking you do not always get perfection, sometimes it's trial and error. The kids however loved these muffins. I guess this all in all was a success if my kiddos love them.
 
I believe the coconut flour may have made the batter a little too thick.

Hopefully next time I attempt this, the batter will not turn out so thick. Next time I will use only the wheat flour, or less coconut flour to get this recipe just right.

Pinterest Link:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Sourdough Adventure - The Skinny on a Starter.

Spaghetti Squash with Southwest Chicken

Thanksgiving Leftovers Breakfast